ORIGINS: The International Biodiversity Expo
The International Biodiversity Expo (IBE 2018) to be held in conjunction with IBC 2018, is an attempt to bring together the government and non-government organisations, academic and R&D organisations, communities and business groups to showcase the rich heritage, wisdom and potentials of the biodiversity, both at global and national levels. The IBE 2018 is an attempt to enhance public awareness on the importance of conserving biodiversity, of the underlying threats to biodiversity, and of success stories in conservation, besides attempting to highlight the linkages of biodiversity with day to day life, livelihood and culture. It will also demonstrate how the government and communities are working to ensure its conservation and sustainable use now and in the future. In particular, the exhibition explores the multiple aspects of biodiversity contributing to human well- being and describes the direct and indirect factors contributing to biodiversity loss. The exhibition will also highlight the products and geographical indicators in the country related to biodiversity.
Focal Theme: Biodiversity and livelihoods
- State biodiversity profiles- Exhibition on Biodiversity of various States of India (State Biodiversity Boards, forest, environment, tourism departments, etc).
- Variety of life- Showcase of the floral and faunal diversity of India- live exhibits and panel exhibition.
- Climate resilient crop varieties and food systems.
- Tribal products, biodiversity ensuring the livelihood of tribals, non-timber forest produce, medicinal plants etc.
- Medicinal plant diversity, livelihood & healthcare
- Plants of Charak Samhita
- Agrobiodiversity of India
- Indigenous cattle diversity
- Jackfruit and other underutilised fruits
- Ecosystem diversity- Panel exhibition on the ecosystem diversity of India.
- Living on the edge- Exhibits of Rare, Endangered and Threatened Species.
- Invasion- Exhibition on Invasive Alien species in India and their impacts
- Exhibition by the leading research centres, universities and other academic institutions, NGOs, commercial establishments, etc.
- Biodiversity education- Exhibition of books, CDs and other educational resources
- Green Business and Technologies- Exhibition by business group incorporating biodiversity conservation and green technologies for environment protection, eco-friendly products etc.
- Innovations- Showcasing of innovations in biodiversity conservation.
- Biodiversity Heritage and Natural History of Uttarakhand
Traditional food courts: Tastes of Biodiversity – Biodiverse Food Heritage of India
International Organisations, National Biodiversity Authority and State Biodiversity Boards, Central and State Government departments, National Institutions such as Botanical Survey of India, Zoological Survey of India, ICAR institutions, CSIR institutions, Research and Development Centres etc, Universities and other Academic institutions, Non-governmental and Non-profit organizations, Business groups working for biodiversity conservation and marketers of products derived from biodiversity, Photographers and conservationists, Publishers & book marketers, Clubs and forums, Individual with their exhibits / collections, Corporates.